Medical and Travel Insurance

New Zealand law requires all International students to have current medical and travel insurance for the period of their Student Visa. The insurance must meet the requirements of the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code in English and other languages are available from the New Zealand Ministry of Education.

Whitireia will arrange for Uni-Care Medical and Travel Insurance for you and include this cost in your Offer of Place. The Uni-Care NZ Student Plan policy exceeds the insurance requirements of the Code of Practice and Immigration NZ.

Whitireia has a group policy in place with Uni-Care. All Whitireia enrolled International Students are protected by the Uni-Care NZ Student Plan Policy unless they choose to arrange their own insurance. Whitireia will receive income from Uni-Care to cover the administration costs of arranging insurance.

Your Uni-Care Certificate of Insurance will be sent to Whitireia and be available for you to obtain a copy on your arrival in New Zealand.

NZ Student Plan Overview

Insurance is about protecting you from the unexpected. Uni-Care has been protecting International Students coming to New Zealand to study for more than 20 years. NZ Student Plan is designed to help you when things go wrong.

Medical Care

If you unexpectedly become ill, or suffer an accident or injury, you won’t have to worry about paying for your medical care. NZ Student Plan will pay for your medical treatment costs.


If you were to suffer a serious injury or illness and needed to go home then the policy would help by taking care of the costly expenses involved, allowing you and your family to focus on your recovery. And if one of your immediate family suffered a critical illness or injury or died then the policy would also help you to get home quickly.

Loss of Deposit

If illness or injury means you are unable to complete your course the policy would reimburse your non-refundable loss of tuition fees.


New Zealand Student Plan covers your personal effects for loss or damage to the amounts specified in the Schedule of Benefits.

Personal Liability

If you accidentally damage property belonging to someone else then tell us what has happened and let us manage the costs for you.

Rental Car Excess

Rental car excesses can be costly – you can claim up to $5,000 liability for rental car excess payment.

Things you should know about Uni-Care

Pre-existing medical conditions are not automatically covered. In some circumstances cover can be arranged. If you have a pre-existing medical condition that you would like to enquire about covering please send details to the International Enrolments team to liaise with Uni Care on your behalf.

Personal Items with an individual value over $2,500 must be insured seperately and will be subject to additional premium. Please provide these details to the International Enrolments team.

More information is available at the Uni-Care website.

Got a question or feedback?
Call us on 0800 944 847
or send us a message